Saturday, January 11, 2014

Moving into my new City

So I have been in Italy for four days now, and it has probably been the most exhausting, exciting, and emotional four days of my life!  Upon arriving in Italy I was immediately through into orientation, where they tell you a lot of information, and point out so many different things that no matter how hard you try you will never remember what you saw, where it was, and definitely not what it is called.

However, between the overwhelming, and sometimes boring orientation sessions, I was able to explore the city a great deal as well.  There have been many delicious pasta meals, a few gelato runs, three cappuccinos and a few glasses of wine as well.  

One of my favorite things I have done so far was take a night walking tour of Rome, where I saw the main piatzas, fountains, and other monuments as well, however our tour guide chose to alter her language for the college crowd.  Instead of hearing about the beauty, artistic ability, or historical significance of many items I learned about which piatza is the "dopest" and the "second most dope"  and why the parthian is "super dope"  and how it took america centuries to beat the ancient Romans in building domes.  It was entertaining to say the least!

There have been a couple more cultural experiences, including showering with only a wand handle that  does not have anywhere to attach it to the wall above ankle level, meaning you get pretty cold while you shampoo your hair, getting lost walking home last night, and finding an awesome park with an ice rink by mistake, and getting lost in the airport because they start their floor numbers with the ground floor, and then the first floor is actually what Americans would consider the second floor.

Today has been a more chill day including finishing unpacking, the grocery store and I will probably put in a movie once I'm done with this post, but tomorrow morning I am going to mass at the Vatican, and I hope to explore more tomorrow before school starts on Monday and this all becomes a lot more real.

I miss my friends and family more than I anticipated, but I just have to look at this small batch of homesickness as something that will make me appreciate home and Madison more in the future!  

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment