Saturday, January 18, 2014

Wandering the Streets...

Having been in Rome for 11 days now, I am pretty much a pro at walking around my little neighborhood, ordering a cuppucino at the bar (coffee shop)  and stumbling upon buildings that are hundreds of years old, and more beautiful than one would ever expect an American building to be.  While there are a few things about America that I miss (grass, chipotle, traffic laws)  life in Italy is better than I imagined.  I just love the culture.  Most people in Italy are very friendly, and it is rare that you see someone in a hurry.  Walking past the same shop owner 7 or 8 times a day and saying "Ciao"  everytime is just the way life is in Rome, and I LOVE it.

I have gone exploring on my own a couple different times, with the intention of getting lost, and every time I have found different churches, buildings, and gelaterias that amaze me.  But yesturday I went exlporing with some people from my dorm, and we saw the pantheon (while it was raining in the hole in the dome which was SO cool) the Trevi fountain, Spanish Steps, Vatican and the Sistine chaple.  It was quite a hike, we walked for almost six hours, but it was definitely worth the walk!  After a day of exploring, we went out to dinner around 9:30, in true Italian fashion, and we finished the night with some delicious house wine.

In addition to seeing more monuments and sculptures than I ever have before, I have gotten to spend copious amounts of time sitting in chapels and at cafes readin my bible, journaling, and reading books... FOR FUN (not school).  And while I am sure this is going to change soon, being that I do have real classes here in Rome (I am heading to the library as soon as I finish this post), for now I am trying to soak up as much of the slow paced, stress-free Italian lifestyle as possible.

I am heading to Switzerland next weekend, so I am sure my posts will be a little more exciting after that adventure!  Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment